The White Hag is an Independent Craft brewery based in Sligo, brewing innovative and unique modern beers with a nod to ancient beers of the region.
Created by a young team of Irish entrepreneurs, The White Hag exploded on the Irish brewing scene in 2014. The brewery has won a plethora of awards, including Rate Beer Best New Irish Brewery, Dublin Craft Beer Cup & Beoir Brewery and Beer of the year. We run a 35HL brew house, 14 x FV’s and all packaging in house. We are also home to an innovative crowd funded barrel programme of almost 200 barrels.
Our products are available in all great pubs, beer shops and hospitality venues across Ireland, as well as in Italy, the UK, France, Netherlands, Denmark and Germany. As we grow our committed and skilled team, we are now seeking a professional Brewmaster / Production Manager to join us here in Sligo.
You’ll be reporting to and working alongside the Managing Director, working in a fast paced environment, with a huge amount of autonomy & responsibility. Your primary focus will be on quality – ensuring a quality product and delivering streamlined operating procedures. Included in this will be overseeing the installation and commissioning of our new 4 vessel 35HL automated brewhouse.
You will work with all other functions in the business to ensure that you and your team coordinate production in conjunction with the company’s growth plans. You will have a continuous improvement mindset constantly seeking and identifying ways we can improve, be more efficient and ensure that a standardised, quality product is created every time.
You will be responsible for coordinating production employees from our Brewers to the cellar and packaging teams, ensuring they deliver our beer to the highest standards.
What the role involves
- Production Operations: oversee daily production operations; assign employees to tasks, as appropriate; ensure a clean, orderly and safe production facility; raw material inventory management.
- Brewing: create and refine world class beers from wort production to final packaging.
- Quality Compliance: develop, implement, and ensure compliance against standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Employee management and leadership: manage shift patterns; employee daily assignments; employee relations matters; performance reviews and assignment of team goals.
Health and Safety: ensure and work to improve, where needed, the health and safety of all employees on the production floor.
- Continuous improvement: log areas of concern and work with team to devise and implement solutions.
- Equipment: ensure maintenance of all production facility equipment and suggest upgrades and alternative items.
- R&D: oversee and deliver new product development with the team and develop/manage our barrel age program.
This is a summery of the role and as it evolves it is likely to change.
- Previous working experience in a similar role within a mid to large sized Brewery.
- Degree qualification or higher in Brewing, Business Management, Engineering or Food Sciences.
- Additional qualifications in Quality Control and Health and Safety an advantage.
- Previous experience of managing teams of employees. It would be an advantage if you have managed them through change and growth.
- Excellent IT skills with particular focus on Microsoft Word, Excel, Slack, Orchestrated Beer, or similar brew software.
- Demonstratable ability to work as a team and on own initiative.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstratable experience of delivering continuous improvement initiatives.
- Open to learning new ways of working.
- Sense of ownership and pride in your performance and its impact on the company’s success.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication, both written and verbal, skills.
What you get
There is a huge opportunity to grow in this role alongside our business, gaining experience in FMCG industry.
Salary is commensurate with experience and skill set. You will also avail of the company bonus plan, pension plan and free on-site gym classes and cycle to work scheme as appropriate.
How to apply
When applying, tell us what you have done, can do and what you would like to achieve. Give us some insight into your great experiences. We prefer stories to lists.
Drop your expression of interest/application to
If you’d love to apply but aren’t sure about something, or feel you don’t meet all the requirements, get in touch at [email protected] and we can discuss whether this role might be the right fit for you.
Applications close Oct 15th 2021
Thanks for taking time to consider working with us.